14620Re: Xtracycle build failure part 3 - Problem solved!

  • kiltie_celt
    Feb 24, 2013
      I found out from the guys at Xtracycle that the Radish frame is actually powdercoated, so stripping it for repainting won't be very easy. Apparently powdercoat strips best with a chemical stripper versus some kind of sandblasting. Also of issue is that the local maker/hacker space does not in fact have a spray booth so there probably isn't anywhere there that I could do a "dirt free" spray job. It's too cold to spray outside at my apartment as well, and frankly I'd rather not have to build the bike then tear it all down again in two months when it's nice enough outside to spray it. So, it looks like if I want to change the frame color, probably the easiest route is going to be applying cast vinyl film. At least that's something I can do indoors with a minimum of mess, and if I don't like the color I can always peel it off and choose another.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, John <gtodroptop@...> wrote:

      > I rattle caned a Dyno Roadster and it came out great.
      >
      > On Feb 21, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Thom Chiaramonte <thom@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I recommend MAAS Powdercoating in Livermore. They do all my frames…
      > >

      > > On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:22 PM, "kiltie_celt" <matthew-campbell@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >> I wish Yahoo groups were a bit more versatile, in that I'd really like to shut down the previous two incarnations of this thread so that folks don't keep posting replies when I've been able to definitively solve the problem. So, I'm hoping by make a third and final post on the topic all of you will see this and know that I've figured out a solution.
      > >>
      > >> I forget who first suggested it, but there was a mention of someone who purchased the front end of an Xtracycle Radish. So, I called the folks out there in California and explained the search for a new frame and asked if they had just the front end of a Radish available for sale. Turns out they did have one and will sell it to me for $250. So, problem solved.
      > >>
      > >> Also, I now get the advantage of having the dropped top tube that makes getting on an off the bike easier, still get to use 26" wheels, and my fenders will work. The only draw backs are I'll need a longer seatpost, and frankly, the color is kinda gross. I'm not a big fan of the cream color. I'm looking into possibly getting the frame powdercoated to match the FreeRad, or getting the whole sheebang painted to some other color. However, powdercoating is likely to be too expensive, so I'll probably have to explore other options.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic