14595Re: Troubleshooting Build Issues

  • thirdraildesignlab
    Feb 1, 2013
      MJ, I'm right there with ya. Or will be, in some years time.
      I have a Burley trailer, though I've never attached it to the Xtracycle. I have a Piccolo, but my eldest is still not yet 4, so we're a ways off. I do find that if I weight down the Freeloaders with copious quantities of sundries, lowering the center of gravity helps a lot.
      The instability is really felt at the bars. The steerer becoming a pivot point. Well, BEING a pivot point, but becoming the hardest to manhandle into staying stable at slow speeds and stops. I actually originally put some touring bars with some sweep back to make the overall dimension of the bike narrower (my aforementioned bike access issue) but switched back to long straight bars to give myself a wider triangle.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MJ" wrote:

      > Hey Thom,
      >
      > The X has been a wonderful addition to our family for 9 years now, and I can share a couple of tips about hauling kids. My boys are now 8 and 5, and their combined weight had me huffing and puffing as I biked them 6 miles to school each morning last fall. On the plus side, I turned in a great time in a century ride I did in early October. Thanks kids!
      >
      > Given the high center of gravity and the likelihood that the guys will be even heavier this spring, I've become concerned about the possibility of low speed crashes. It's when we're stopping and starting that the X is most unstable, as you seem to be experiencing as well.
      >
      > This spring, I plan to get a Burley Piccolo, attach it to the X and ask the heaviest kid to pedal along with me. In addition to lowering the center of gravity, I should get a small boost from his workout. The Piccolo attaches to the X with enough room to spare for the smaller guy. It's a solution that just came to me recently, so I thought I'd share it.
      >
      > The problem with high center of gravity/kid hauling must be fairly widespread: the new X's have small wheels in the back to lower the center of gravity plus rollbars for rear seat passengers. Nice additions, but we plan to get a few more years out of our original X before moving on to another.
      >
      > Good luck!

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic