14592Re: Troubleshooting Build Issues

  • thirdraildesignlab
    Feb 1, 2013
      The evolution of this project was largely based on access issues to my bike shop/workspace area, which is through two doors perpendicular to each other, each 3'-0" wide... hard to thread oblong objects through this passageway. My initial calculations suggested that a fixed-frame design like a Yuba or similar would be too wide at the rear to accommodate this navigation, thanks to the built in steps in the frame. I REALLY wanted to do a bikefiet type project, but thats for another time and another home. Anyway, that's how I landed on the Xtracycle. I started with it, considered others, returned to it.

      Good to hear I'm not the only one with a loose 'special nut'. I'm kicking myself for not checking them before. Being under the freeloaders it was out of sight out of mind, which is really no excuse for a 30+ year experience rider who's built 11 bikes or so. Ridiculous. I blame sleep deprivation from the second child...

      Thanks Brian!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Brian Livelsberger wrote:

      > I've had the special nuts come loose, now I check them regularly. Curious
      > how others keep them tight.
      >
      > Squirrely? Absolutely! It took me a while to get used to it. I can handle
      > it just fine now that I've adjusted, but I don't like it, and if I were
      > doing it all over again a purpose-built single-piece frame (Yuba,
      > EdgeRunner, BD) would be a must specifically for this reason. I have no
      > regrets, as I enjoy the flexibility (no pun intended!) the custom build
      > afforded, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without that same
      > fascination.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Brian.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic