14553Re: Big ol' tires! ... and the fenders that cover them.

  • kiltie_celt
    Jan 4, 2013
      It's an Xtracycle with external gearing. Back when the donor bike was still an actual mountain bike, the biggest tire I ever ran was a 2.10. I think, circa late 90s there weren't too many, if any choices for tires bigger than 2.10. Now, that being said I think there was probably room in the frame for something bigger, but it seems like there just isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference between 2.10 and 2.3-something. I'm kinda wondering, since some guys are running serious flotation rubber in the 3.0 size what fenders are they using? Do you think running the bigger tires helps any with load carrying capacity? Say, what do you think would be the advantages or disadvantages between something in the 1.9 range versus 2.1+ assuming both were quality tires?

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg wrote:

      > Is this an Xtracyle or Big Dummy? Internal or external gearing? Planet Bike 29er fenders will fit the BD fine as will 2.5" tires, at least with internal (hub) gears.
      >
      > David Dannenberg

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic