      From: "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...>
      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 04:27:48 +0000
      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: New to the group - building my own Xtracycle

      Thanks for the bar advice. I would like to have given those Titec/Jeff Jones bars a try but just could not seem to find anyone selling them. I ended up placing an order for a bunch of parts from Tree Fort and went with a basic Answer riser bar. I figure I can use that with my old beefy Answer Hyper Ends mtb bar ends for the extra hand positions.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean <gear.head@...> wrote:

      > Welcome aboard. I ran my first long tail bike for a long time with beat up 80's diamondback mountain bike frame and a 7 speed drive train. It suited me just fine. As for handle bars, I have dabbled with a few different bars. My favorites were the On-one Fleegle and my current ones which are the Titec version of a Jeff Jones H-bar. If you have a local bike co-op you might be able to test drive a few till you find the perfect match. Whatever you choose, I would aim for a more upright riding position. On a long tail bike I like my head up so I can enjoy the scenery and the thumbs up from passer byes.
      >
      > Sean
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On Nov 8, 2012, at 6:17 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm new to the group here and would like to ask a couple questions. I'm going to be purchasing my own Xtracycle Free Radical to bolt onto my old long-unused '94 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro mtb. I have a touring bike that is my daily (110+ miles/week), commuter and it has a nice, comfy Ritchey Biomax CX drop bar on it. I think I've see all of about 3 or 4 Xtracycles with drop bars, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that a drop bar, even a wide one, probably doesn't allow for enough control on a heavily loaded bike, correct? So, my first question - drop bars, yes or no? Secondly, if drop bars are out, I'd like to use a trekking bar
      > >
      > > http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175533_-1___202446
      > >
      > > for the extra hand positions. Does anyone else use these? I'm thinking since a trekking bar tends to move the main hand position back slightly that I'd need a shorter stem? The thing is, I'm already having to convert from 1" threaded steerer to one of those thread-to-threadless adapters, along with an adjustable angle stem. My original riding position on the Stumpy as an offroad mtb was with the bar lower than the saddle and a fairly stretched out position. Not comfortable at all for lengthy rides on a heavily laden bike.
      > >
      > > I run a 110mm adjustable stem on my commuter and it's angled pretty steeply to get the bar close to level with my saddle. I'm going to shoot for a similar riding position on the XtraStumpy. Nashbar sells a Ritchey adjustable stem like I have on my commuter. I'm thinking maybe go with the longest one they sell - 120mm to help account for the way the main riding position on the trekking bar is a couple inches back from where it would be on a normal bar. Sound okay? Any suggestions?

> [...]

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic