14414Re: What is your favorite non-Kickback kickstand?

  • kiltie_celt
    Nov 15, 2012
      "Don't try to solve a problem until you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an xtracycle. And other parts of life.)

      IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
      Jeff"

      I had to chuckle when I read this. Too true. I just assumed that Xtracycle included the most basic leaning-type kickstand that would not be the greatest thing except for holding up an unloaded bike. Sounds like it's pretty decent to start out with. I'll give it a try before spending money on anything else. Thanks for the advice.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

      > If you're carrying stuff (not people), and can load the bike such that the
      > center of gravity can still lean towards the kickstand, then the stock
      > kickstand is perfectly adequate for anything but stupid-heavy loads in my
      > experience.
      >
      > The kickback is more forgiving of how evenly you load and can cope with a
      > certain amount of squirming around of live cargo.
      >
      > If money and weight are no object, get the kickback. If either is a factor,
      > try the stock stand and see how it goes. Don't try to solve a problem until
      > you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an
      > xtracycle. And other parts of life.)
      >
      > IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
      > Jeff
      >

      > On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand,
      > > what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes
      > > with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than
      > > holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand
      > > options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At
      > > some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a
      > > kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight
      > > capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic