14413Re: [rootsradicals] What is your favorite non-Kickback kickstand?

  • Brian Livelsberger
    Nov 15, 2012
      I carry a 5yo and a 2yo home from day care every day on my Xtracycle with the stock side stand. I have to make sure that their things are lashed down first, then I spot the bike while they climb on. It is remarkably well placed, holding them all up as long as they don't squirm (no, I don't rely on that!), so there is really minimal spotting that I have to do. Then we're off and riding. Would I love a kickback? YES! Do I absolutely need it? No.

      Brian near DC

      On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

      If you're carrying stuff (not people), and can load the bike such that the center of gravity can still lean towards the kickstand, then the stock kickstand is perfectly adequate for anything but stupid-heavy loads in my experience.

      The kickback is more forgiving of how evenly you load and can cope with a certain amount of squirming around of live cargo.

      If money and weight are no object, get the kickback. If either is a factor, try the stock stand and see how it goes. Don't try to solve a problem until you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an xtracycle. And other parts of life.)

      IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
      Jeff

      On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

      Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand, what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic