14346Re: [rootsradicals] v-brake setup

  • Dave Lloyd
    Aug 17, 2012
      I have a Big Dummy and run with V brakes. I went with the Avid single digit 7 and speed-dial levers. The nice thing about the speed dial levers is that you can alter the amount of leverage they have so the feel front and rear is the same (the rear will almost always feel spongy just due to the cable length).

      Is the housing to the noodle terminated in a stop? I'm guessing that the answer is yes. It sounds like your housing may be moving around. Brakes depend on both the cable pull and the reactive force of the cable housing. If you're having a hard time figuring it out, it might be worth a visit to your local bike shop. Take a sixer of something decent (or maybe a 30 pack of something not so decent but refreshing) and ask if you can learn while they figure it out and fix it for you. Most of the time, people who take pride in their work are more than glad to teach someone who shows an appreciation for what they do.

      Happy riding!

      --dlloyd

      On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Mark <mparker326@...> wrote:
      I have a freeradical attached to Schwinn Cimarron.

      The Cimarron had cantilever brakes before and now I have a Tektro V-Brake in the rear.  I have a Shimano V-Brake lever up front. I have a new brake cable and lined Jagwire housing.  My stop is towards the front of my top tube and it runs bare across the majority of the top tube and then travels in housing to the v-brake noodle.

      My rear brake is spongy.  It slows me down some, but certainly not like the cantis did before adding the freeradical.

      My pads are within a mm of my rim.

      Any thoughts on how to improve the brakes?  Or is this just a given with the extra weight & length of this beast?  I don't really want to go disk if I don't have to.

      Thanks,

      Mark

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional