14294Re: Digest Number 2027

  • seppludwig
    Jun 29, 2012
      I wouldn't be too concerned about weight. I have a Yuba Mundo and weight is only a consideration when getting the bike started - especially if one is on a hill.

      Once started, the Yuba performs better going up a hill than my hybrid or folding bicycle - I've tested it on three hills which I know well and the results were surprising. The BD and and the XC could likewise produce surprising results- it depends on the comfort of the frame setup and the gearing.

      We've inherited the obsession for weight from road racing where weight makes you slower - a factor which is not at all important with utility biking or touring. Important is just arriving and arriving comfortably.

      How the bike feels on the road, how you transfer your power comfortably to the road seem more decisive than weight for utility and touring cycling.

      That's just my very subjective opinion - but subjectivity wins out as long as one is not racing.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <hemingandrew@...> wrote:

      > Not quite the figures you're looking for, but there's a weight breakdown comparison between XC and rack+panniers on the Vik's Big Dummy site here;
      > http://viksbigdummy.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/xtracycle-vs-panniers-weight-comparison.html
      > It suggests BD is a couple of pounds heavier than XC conversion which is not a bad trade off for the extra strength and durability.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic