14078Re: [rootsradicals] Re: rear wheel?

  • Dave Lloyd
    Mar 18, 2012
      No problem! The best advice I think anyone could give, though, is to get a wheel built by your local bike shop or to build one yourself (It's not that hard, just a takes a Saturday evening and a few beers, and it's very liberating). Machine made wheels are notorious for uneven tension and for not stress relieving spokes as they're tensioned which leads to the conditions you're describing.

      On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 22:35, poppamando <b4kids@...> wrote:
      It's a 26". Thanks, Dave.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:
      > if it's a 26, I've had pretty good luck with a wheel I built up with 36
      > straight gauge spokes, a Sun Rhyno Lite rim and a Deore hub. The only
      > problem I've had is water infiltration into the Deore hub. I did have an
      > XT, but that developed a nasty habit of the freehub body fixing bolt
      > working its way loose. That also happened to a friend of mine, so I can't
      > recommend them. The Deore or SLX hubs are probably the best bang fore the
      > buck.
      > --dlloyd
      > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:07, poppamando <b4kids@...> wrote:
      > > Folks, I have a several year old Trek 4300 as the base for my X. Over the
      > > last year or so, I've popped at least 3 spokes on the rear wheel. My LBS
      > > owner (who sold me the Trek and assembled the X) tells me it's because the
      > > stock spokes are inferior and he recommends I get a new rear wheel with
      > > stronger rim and spokes. As I'm fairly ignorant about buying wheels, I
      > > could use recommendations for a strong wheel that won't break my bank
      > > account. I only rarely carry more than 100 lbs on it (child plus
      > > groceries), but commute about 5 miles round trip through all kinds of
      > > weather and over rural RR track crossings (3 tracks with a good deal of
      > > "bump" to each track).
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > > Phil

      ride to believe.Yahoo! Groups Links