14076Re: [rootsradicals] rear wheel?

  • Dave Lloyd
    Mar 18, 2012
      if it's a 26, I've had pretty good luck with a wheel I built up with 36 straight gauge spokes, a Sun Rhyno Lite rim and a Deore hub. The only problem I've had is water infiltration into the Deore hub. I did have an XT, but that developed a nasty habit of the freehub body fixing bolt working its way loose. That also happened to a friend of mine, so I can't recommend them. The Deore or SLX hubs are probably the best bang fore the buck.

      --dlloyd

      On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:07, poppamando <b4kids@...> wrote:
      Folks, I have a several year old Trek 4300 as the base for my X. Over the last year or so, I've popped at least 3 spokes on the rear wheel. My LBS owner (who sold me the Trek and assembled the X) tells me it's because the stock spokes are inferior and he recommends I get a new rear wheel with stronger rim and spokes. As I'm fairly ignorant about buying wheels, I could use recommendations for a strong wheel that won't break my bank account. I only rarely carry more than 100 lbs on it (child plus groceries), but commute about 5 miles round trip through all kinds of weather and over rural RR track crossings (3 tracks with a good deal of "bump" to each track).

      Thanks in advance,
      Phil

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional