14034Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tires for Big Dummy

  • Andrew Kreps
    Feb 28, 2012
      On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:27, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
      Hi Andrew,
      I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
      Munich is pretty much completely flat.

      Based on that information, I'd stay away from the heavy knobbies since you don't need to grip in dirt.  You could even ride a slick on flat gravel and in the rain, though I'd stay on the fatter side of the spectrum, say, 1.75" - 2.5" (approx. 4cm-7cm).  It makes the ride more enjoyable.

      Here's a short list of tires I've ridden and can recommend:

      Maxxis Hookworm - Big, beefy.  The supersize option.
      Schwalbe Big Apple - Great handling characteristics.  Reflective/generator strip available as I recall.
      Schwalbe Marathon Supreme - Good long distance tire, with some good grippy tread for mashing the pedals on dirt.

      I believe the two Schwalbes have a 'liteskin' option, which is a folding kevlar bead that keeps the weight down.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic