13972Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tires for Big Dummy

  • David Backeberg
    Feb 7, 2012
      >Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a >lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is >get down to the pavement and wear down and >cause drag.

      Well, the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that several people have mentioned
      have carbide studs that wear incredibly well. I'm on my third winter
      with mine. It is true that traditional old-school steel studs would
      wear down after a while on bare pavement, but I haven't seen anybody
      recommend those kind of tires.

      The rubber compound is soft, and smart. Basically, the physics says
      that if you're on ice, the stud is going to bite into ice. If you are
      on bare pavement, there will be more noise, but most of the stud
      recesses into the tire. Between those physics and the fact that it's a
      very hard steel alloy, the studs are quite nice.

      Yes, they're overkill on bare pavement. Snow hides ice, so you can't
      tell whether you're on snow or ice. Darkness, which there is much more
      of in the winter, also hides ice. You don't know where there's an ice
      patch until you're already on it, and then it's too late. The original
      poster says he already went down twice. I went down in 2008 and broke
      a finger at the joint; I spent a fortune on physical therapy, had
      surgery, and will never have the range of motion I used to have. I'm
      not going to stop riding in the winter, so I take the precautions I
      can take.

      Not everybody rides with a helmet either, but it's really cheap
      mitigation to lessen the chance of a brain injury. I feel the same way
      about studs for winter riding.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic