13968Re: Tires for Big Dummy

  • jtrops
    Feb 6, 2012
      I have the Nokian Mount & Ground w160 tires for winter commuting, and I couldn't be happier. There have been many times when I had no idea the road was icy until I tried to put my foot down. As long as I'm rolling I don't worry about sliding.

      For my regular tires I have panaracer crosstown 1.75's. It seems like most people like wide cushy tires, but for some reason the narrower tires suit me better. Anyway, I chose these because they have extra rubber to give more flat protection not just a kevlar belt.

      I think I had a bad Big Apple, so I'm not going to elaborate. I will just say that if I hadn't read so many raving reviews of it I wouldn't hold back with my disappointment. I really think mine was just a bad tire prone to flats.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "polarbear1101" <polarbear1101@...> wrote:

      > Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15 miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets. I have no car so I often carry loads as well. I have Continental Town & Country tires on the bike right now and I like them quite a bit.
      >
      > I do have 2 problems:
      > 1) On a monthly basis I have a flat tire because of glass etc and am therefore considering the Marathon Plus from Schwalbe. Anybody using that tire?
      > 2) I'm frequently riding on snow and ice right now now and fell twice already :( If I can't get a good allrounder with a better grip in those conditions, does anybody have advice on good winter tires?
      >
      > I have heard a lot of people using the Big Apple tires on their dummy. What are the advatages of that tire?
      > Thanks!

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic