13925Re: Bakery delivery bike - advice sought.

  • Proxy
    Jan 7, 2012
      I think you're prolly going to have to prototype something and come up with a revised carrier. Some risks I see, and have experienced with my Xtracycle, just carrying any sized load:

      * Top weighted vehicle. This doesn't apply just to a single kickstand. I've fallen over in intersections or cornering when tired and going to fast. I've seen the bike tip over with just a few boxes of donuts on it because I reached down to the ground to pick up my helmet and just had one hand on the handlebars. Whatever you build really needs to lower the center of gravity. See if you can mock up a load of equitable maximum weight and get it up to the height of that load and see how it handles for you. Consider wind. Test out turning corners while going uphill under load.

      * Wind resistence. I don't remember many windy days in PA, but I was always in the office or at a CalTrain station. If you build a high drag structure on the bike, you don't want to risk product when it flips over.

      * Flip risk: product cost. Bouncing and tipping a bike is inevitable, so what is the potential loss if you have 24 iced cakes all suddenly slide to one side in their boxes, or a wedding cake when you strike a pothole. If you need to keep you load leveler, I'd suggest investing in a longjohn (bakfiet, Bullitt, etc), trike, or trailer.

      * Reconfigurability, just thinking about a wedding cake, or a load of baguettes makes me think that if you build fixed shelves, you might not be able to accomodate odd sized items. A rack with movable shelves or iron rails with bungees as shelves is a wonderfully clever idea.

      Best of luck!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic