13920Bakery delivery bike - advice sought.

  • DouglasS
    Jan 3, 2012
      Introduction: I am a bike nerd in Palo Alto, California, with a herd of three active bikes maybe a half-dozen frames in progress, another half-dozen bikes built for my immediate family and another half-dozen bikes built for friends. One of my three active bikes is an Xtracycle FreeRadical on a old cross bike frame.

      Project at hand: My wife's childhood friend has a daughter that runs a vegan bakery. Said daughter wants to delivery bakery products by bike. Most of the bakery products will be in 10" x 10" x 4" boxes or
      10" x 14" x 4" boxes. I have volunteered to build the bike and the cargo container that accepts the bakery boxes.

      Current plan: Somewhat vague, but I plan to get some sort of step-through frame, maybe a women's mountain bike, with 26" wheels, and build it up with the fattest tires I can fit under fenders. Mate it to a FreeRadical and then build a plywood structure on the back that will hold bakery boxes. Put doors on the plywood structure to keep the bakery boxes in place and to prevent casual theft. Use a Kickback or something like to hold the bike upright.

      So. I am new to this group, but I am told it is the go-to resource for projects like this. Anyone have any advice, prejudices, ideas, doctrine, resources or plain out-and-out mania to contribute to my design?

      -Doug Shaker
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic