    From: David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...>
    Subject: [rootsradicals] Eliminate tensioner?
    To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Sunday, January 1, 2012, 11:23 AM

    I just replaced the jockey wheels on the Rohloff tensioner on my Big Dummy. They were really beaten to death; one of them was almost round. https://picasaweb.google.com/daviddannenberg1/JockeyWheels#5692727747568397858

    I am running a Rohloff which is wonderful as it is essentially maintenance-free. I ride on a dirt road that variously coats the entire bike with dry rough silt, mud, half-decayed leaves, water, mud, ice. Derailleur drivetrains turn to junk fairly quickly under those conditions, wearing, going out of adjustment, sticking. The Rohloff and heavy chain eliminate most of this problem, but the system requires a tensioner and the tensioner accumulates beaucoup crud.

    I would switch to an eccentric bottom bracket and eliminate the tensioner, but then the chain would not clear the kick-back when the latter is in the folded position. I could get a Rolling Jackass kickstand, but they are pricey and look like they hang down lower than the Kickback. I love the Kickback--simple and works great.

    Anyone out there have any suggestions for getting around this problem?

    I am half considering routing the chain above the Kickback completely with mounted guides on the seat tube, but would that make for any less friction and crud accumulation than the tensioner? I guess they would be more accessible for cleaning than the tensioner that is located way under the Freeloaders but also perhaps more likely to expose body parts to the filthy chain.

    Appreciate any suggestions.

    David Dannenberg
  • Show all 8 messages in this topic