13845Re: 700c FreeRad on a MTB, advisable?

  • Proxy
    Dec 3, 2011
      Maybe if I describe it differently the distinction will be clearer:
      I have a free radical with v-brake bosses positioned for a 700c tire.
      I do not intend to re-weld those bosses, thus I will not put a 26" tire
      on the FR. My FR lacks disk brake flanges, so I would not put a disk brake 26" MTB wheel on, either.

      Basically, my question revolves around this area: is the 700c model of FR capable of fitting a 26" MTB frame that has long enough chainstays?
      Or am I being fanciful imagining that there is a MTB frame out there with 14.5 inches between it's chainstay bridge and dropouts?

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rayretrovox" <ray@...> wrote:

      > Using 700c rear wheel on an Xtracycle will limit the size of the tyre that you can use. There just isn't enough clearance for a decent amount of rubber.
      >
      > However you can run 700c or 29er or whatever on the front and 26" MTB on the rear. I used this setup on my second Xtracycle build and it worked very well.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic