13806Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Al and suspension

  • Devian Gilbert
    Nov 20, 2011
      the bicycle industry is notorious for lack of linear standards
      its not like going to the autoparts store and asking for an automotive part for a certain make, model and year of vehicle.

      as with most bicycle projects, an direct method is to simply start out with a parts list and try to accurately spec a project.

      what do you have in mind?

      d-
      On Nov 20, 2011, at 12:30 PM, TIM_H wrote:

      Thanks for that Devian.So it appears there isnt a simple plug n play fork huh.Thats to bad.

      I was thinking to myself I wonder if any Pedicabs use suspension forks.I did a quick search and found some use heavy duty triple-clamp forks on their bicycles.I assume their not plug n play either?

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

      > fitting the fork to a frame depends on compatibility.
      > 1. steer tube diameter
      > 2. headset compatibility to frame and fork
      > 3. Steer tube length vs headtube height, stack height, and stem.
      > 4. Stem compatibility vs headset and steertube types and sizes.
      > 5. finally handlebar... handlebar compatibility to stem. clamping diameters of both steer tube and handlebar clamp.
      > 6. geometry of frame and fork
      >
      > when I look at the Monark fork, my first impression is that it is not an optimal candidate for a cargo bike. However, lets say this fork was already on a cruiser type of bicycle and that bike could be a decent cargo bike.
      >
      > if a person were to take a modern MTB and try to put that fork on it, and convert it to a cargo bike... I don't think it would be the best idea.
      >

      > On Nov 20, 2011, at 11:26 AM, TIM_H wrote:
      >

      > > Found some Heavy Duty Monark Forks,question is what would it take to fit em? A great price too.
      > >
      > > Anyone know?
      > >
      > > http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/2708822029.html
      > >
      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "skeem2005" <emilyskopp@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Why is front suspension bad for an Xtracycle? I understand rear suspension will not work.
      > > >
      > > > Is an Aluminum frame strong enough to withstand the torque of the Free Radical?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic