13733Re: recovering from accident, seeking advice

  • EdmundW
    Oct 15, 2011
      I have a Yuba and two kids; ages 4 and 5.

      They ride sitting on the deck with a webbing "loop" for a handle.
      Tho from what I have seen - they tend to hang with their arms in "whee I'm flying" mode far to often.

      Both kids started on balance bikes at 18months. The older one is now on a 12" pedal bike. The younger has not expressed any interest in a pedal bike but LOVES his like-a-bike and hops curbs etc on it.

      So they have the balance thing down.

      The only time I have had "wheelie" issues is when I ride with the kids AND my wife at the very back back. She of course is therefore BEHIND the axle line and thus the entire bike then acts like a see saw across the rear axle.

      Try to get the weight in FRONT of the rear axle center line as much as possible. Bike handling gets weird otherwise.

      Bear in mind that I used to race road in college and spent a few years mtn biking in thick trees, and now daily commute on a bike in city traffic with cars - so I think my bike handling skills may be a smidge better than average.

      Also kids are a live load - they move around and you have to counter act that movement. Again - keep em in FRONT of the axle center line as much as possible and you'll be fine IMHO.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "nancyh434" <nhurrelbrinck@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > My name is Nancy, and I live in central Virginia. I got my Big Dummy about a month ago (with a Bionx assist on it -- I live in a hilly town and want to transport my kids on the bike). I've been training by riding around town with 80 lbs in the panniers. Almost two weeks ago, I was practicing on a pair of hills near my kids' school -- a steep down followed by a steep up, went too fast, and the front wheel just lifted off the ground (the battery adds another 25 lbs, with all of the weight in the back). I was lucky in many ways and am recovering okay.
      >
      > But... I'm concerned that I may not be strong enough to handle the bike safely with my kids on it (collectively 85 lbs). The electric can help me get them up hills, but starting on a hill (as is often necessary where I live) is not easy with weight on the bike. I am 5'4" and 140 lbs, in fairly good shape (run, bike, swim, lift weights), but I'm worried that I'm simply not heavy/strong enough to keep the bike balanced with kids on the rack in a variety of situations. (I did order some wide loaders to slow things down, in the event of a fall; and obviously I won't by going so fast again.)
      >
      > I would love to hear from women or small men who ride with 2 kids on the back. My current plan is one big stoker bar they both hold onto with them sitting close to each other, a crazy creek seat under both/behind the second child (they're both 4.5 y.o.). How did you go about learning to ride safely with your kids on there?
      >
      > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
      >
      > happy riding,
      > Nancy

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic