13729Re: recovering from accident, seeking advice

  • Rich W
    Oct 15, 2011
      The Kona Ute has a considerably shorter wheelbase than the Big Dummy or a Xtracycle conversion bike. This will likely decrease loaded stability in my experience. However the OPs motor and battery could decrease the BD stability too depending on location and weight.

      As much as possible keep the weight ahead of the rear wheel axle for best stability.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Brealey" <thelawnet@...> wrote:

      > I weigh about 40% more than you, but I have my daughters bike seat right at
      > the back of my Kona Ute, behind the rear wheel. It will topple over
      > backwards if I'm not holding it down, but when I'm on it I don't find
      > there's a problem, although there's really no substitute for caution and
      > experience - once you know that your rear wheel can swing out under you, you
      > take more care on corners, etc.
      >

      > I wouldn't worry about the kids though, my experience is that low down
      > (pannier) weights of say 130 pounds severely destabilise the bike whereas
      > I've had wife + 2 kids on the back (250 pounds), and while the handling is
      > not great, it's a lot better than the much lower pannier weight.
      >

      > I don't think the weights in the pannier are really representative, not sure
      > what those batteries are doing for the stability though.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic