13526Re: [rootsradicals] H-bar set up with mixed grips

  • Sam Knight
    Jul 16, 2011
      I've had H-Bars and old thumb shifters on my xtra for a couple years.  The "bar end" part of the bar has always been useless to me even without a shifter there, it's too narrow to be of use for leverage like a bar end typically gets used, and there's little point in using it for an aero position on a cargo bike.  I spend 100% of the time with my hands on the regular grip area.  The length of the thumb shifter lever also makes it an easy reach from the grips.

      On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:

      That's funny, I am thinking about buying some thumbies. I think they would work just fine. Anyway you set it up there is some amount of compromise involved. If you run them on the front part, it leaves the grip area pretty small, for my hands at least. Let is know how it works either way you set it up and post some pictures.

      From: Robert Tilley <rltilley@...>
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, July 15, 2011 5:11:44 PM
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] H-bar set up with mixed grips

      I'll hopefully be setting up my new Karate Monkey frame this weekend.  I've got a set of the Titec H-Bars for it & I just need to decide what shifters to put on it.  On hand I've got LX 9-speed Rapidfire, XT 8-speed Rapidfire & some Paul Thumbies with 8-speed bar-end shifters attached.
      I'm leaning towards the LX 9-speed so far but wonder if the thumbies would work with the H-Bars.  The cabling on the thumbies may get in the way of accessing the "bar-end" portion of the bars.   I'll have to play around with a few setups this weekend.  I've never used the bars but I've heard good things about them.  The good things come mostly from single-speeders but I'm sure they'll be fine for geared bikes as well.

      On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:
      [Attachment(s) from Sean Mackin included below]

      Here is one view of the H-bar set up.

      Attachment(s) from Sean Mackin

      1 of 1 Photo(s)

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic