13497rim failure (was: Random stuff)

  • jparks781
    Jul 9, 2011
      David,

      what rim was that?

      what tire pressure range do you try to maintain?

      how many miles approx.?

      was it on your Dummy? Did you move it from your previous X to the Dummy?

      Why do you fault the wide tire? I'm trying to figure out the mechanics / geometry of how the wider tire might have exacerbated the problem.

      I ask because I'm running Big Apples on Velocity Cliff Hangers, which are fairly narrow rims, 1.125" outside width. The Big Apples measure a little over 2.4" wide on these rims at 60psi.

      Although I weigh ~145#, so that may keep me out of trouble. Also you are a much more faithful cycle-commuter than I, I'm sure your putting a lot more miles on the bike.

      Joel

      > A couple of things:

      > It's a bad idea to run a really fat tire on a relatively thing rim. http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_4810/web.jpg?ver=13091391700001

      > David