13496Re: Step through longbike?

  • doreavc
    Jul 8, 2011
      I've lost track a bit, but if this question is directed at me David, yes, this is exactly how we both mount the bike, and yes, the standover height is such that both of us can stand over the bike with both feet on the ground, but is is still a struggle to get one leg over the top tube for my wife who is very short. For me, it's not a problem. Even 3 or 4 inches lower would make all the difference, and it looks like we have some options in this regard.

      w.r.t the bakfiets question, we have storage considerations that make a box-type bike a challenge, and it does seem like overkill when all we need is a lower frame height. I'm also not a fan of how heavy those things are (we have friends with a gazelle cabby). If we go that route, we'd likely go with a madsen before a bakfiets, both for weight and for cost.

      Thanks all,

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:
      > I am a little confused by this discussion. Does the bike have a stand over height that does not allow you to straddle the top tube with both feet on the ground?
      > I don't mount a bike by swinging my leg around and over--I am not limber or coordinated enough; nor do I mount by stepping on one peddle to gain momentum then swinging my other leg across while underway--just don't have the coordination or nerve. I simply step over the top tube by bending and lifting my leg, the way one might step over a low fence or shrub in one's path. Then I straddle the bike, and in the case of the BD, roll it forward to get it off the Kickback then go. Check how captains mount their tandems. Sure it is cool to swing one's leg horizontally over the handle bars-kind of like one of the Rocketts doing a turn with a leg stretched out--but it is easier to just bend your leg and reach over, maybe even tip the bike towards yourself to lower the tube.
      > Of course if your stand over height is too high to straddle the bike, then ignore the foregoing. :)
      > Oh, and if you mount a peg on the crank arm, won't it whack you in the ankle as you peddle?
      > David
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic