13485Re: Step through longbike?

  • TIM_H
    Jul 4, 2011
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "doreavc" <doreavc@...> wrote:

      > We currently ride with a mountain-bike type frame and a free-radical extension, frequently with our two kids loaded on the back, see here:
      >
      > http://carfreecambridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/3885459958_e1df437a74.jpg
      >
      > (we've since swapped out the handlebars and added a kickback but you get the idea)
      >
      > For the most part, this has worked well, but my very short (5'1") wife is getting frustrated with getting on and off, and is wishing for a step-through frame, especially since our kids are little, so we have to load them first so she can't just swing her leg up over the back.
      >
      > So we're trying to find a more step-through option. In comparing the more "pre-fab" choices out there, it looks like the big dummy is out. It doesn't look like the radish, yuba mundo, kona ute or the new sun atlas are truly step through. Does anyone have standover heights on any of these? As in measurement from the ground to the frame at the lowest point you could get a leg through to mount? The Sun Atlas looks like it *might* be the lowest (our current bike is about 26"). We don't really have space for it, but I'm seriously considering a Madsen since it looks like one of the easiest to get on and off.
      >
      > I'm also considering using our existing free-radical on a different bike, in which case we'd be looking for something with 26" wheels, ideally disc brake compatible. I got a recommendation for the Breezer Uptown 8, but am not so sure about the aluminum frame with such a low step through when we'll be riding it pretty heavily loaded. Has anyone found a step through frame that works really well with the free radical? Has anyone tried one of the Linus bikes?
      >
      > We're in the Boston/Cambridge area. If anyone in this area has something they think might fit the bill that we could test ride, please let me know.
      >
      > Thoughts welcome and thanks!
      > Dorea
      > Carfree with Kids: http://carfreecambridge.com

      If your wife doesnt have a problem with body strength but her problem is strictly her height I may have a possible remedy(s).I have the Yuba Mundo and just went outside to try getting on it using one pedal.Of course the pedal was at the lowest height and I have the double legged kickstand called the "Stand Alone".I had no problem getting on the Yuba and it was firmly planted.I then looked at the Yuba for a few seconds and could see if one added a second pedal or foot peg up the pedal arm crank,that would allow placing your foot a bit higher to get up and over on the bike.A hole would need to be drilled but should work.

      Another possibility is to install a foot platform just under the frame tube between the front tire and pedal crank.The platform would be just big enough to get part of your shoe on for using to lift your self up from a higher starting point.Like getting on a horse using the stirrup.The key for both remedies is having the wide version 2 legged kickstand.

      After a few times of practicing getting on the bike it will go really fast with almost no tipping force.Good luck!
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic