13387Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical

  • Jeremiah Ducate
    May 11, 2011
      a lot more wiggle than you realize can come from strapping technique.  make sure
      your wheel cones are tightened too,  and the headset adjusted properly.  try
      cinching loads solid and i nearly always run at least the middle strap across
      the top to the qr on the other side. when loaded you can't stand and rock the
      bike for more power like most people learn to do.  also if your butt isn't on
      the seat you lose a lot of stabilization.

      i've seen some of the more modern volpes and if the older ones are similar they
      dont seem to be superlight built racing bikes, more all around road bikes and i
      would say they seem solid enough for an xtracyle.  just looked it up and it
      looks like the first volpe was 1996 and built as a (probably light)touring
      bike.  it should be stable enough that i would say the frame isn't to blame for
      the shimmy unless it is broken or was damaged.

      i thought the 700c freeradical just had different brake post mounting but i
      could be wrong.  some older mt bike frames have pretty long chainstays. maybe
      an older rockhopper or something.

      i will say one downside of the big dummy is it's heavier than a similarly built
      xtracycle.  it sounds like an x would be fine for your use.

      i've got a big dummy now and it is super solid.  i broke my freerad about four
      times(in about five years) but for most people its fine and i don't consider it
      to be a design flaw just my abuse of it.
      also the big dummy really isn't suited for 700 wheels,  i think surly says you
      can fit a 35 tire which really isn't wide enough for heavy duty use. i think the
      tire clearance is slightly less than a freerad, at least officially.

      Of your ideas i would say go with the karate monkey.  its a super versatile
      frame you(or someone) can set up many different ways if you change your mind
      later.  you should be able to use 26's front and back as long as you use disc
      brakes which i would suggest anyways  they don't wear out the rims,  keeping the
      rims stronger.

      my rear wheel is a handbuilt, 36 db spoke,  rhynolite(xl?-the welded and
      machined one), i had mine built on an older novatec disc hub because i thought i
      wanted sealed bearings but if i did it over again i'd use a shimano for the
      servicability(i broke the freehub mechanism once), probably an xt.  i've never
      had a problem with it in about four years (barely been trued or tensioned since
      being built) probably carrying over 300 lbs on sf streets a few times and surely
      dropping off  curbs with 200 lbs fairly often.  and i weigh about 220.

      hope this helps

      1a.     From: shrew13
      1b. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: Rick
      1c. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: gear.head@...
      1d. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: David Backeberg
      1e. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: David Backeberg
      1f. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: gear.head@...
      1g. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: shrew13
      1h. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          From: Andrew Kreps

      Messages
      1a. Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          Posted by: "shrew13" shrew13@... shrew13
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 11:26 am ((PDT))

      Hey folks, I'm new to the list, but looks like some good ideas popping up around
      here.  I stumbled on the list while doing some research on which way to jump
      with my 700c FreeRadical (FR).  I'm hoping the experience of some folks here
      might help.

      I had my FR hooked up to an early 90s Bianchi Volpe and it was super fun for
      small stuff like a quick grocery run, but completely stunk for even moderately
      heavy stuff.  A case of beer on each side scared me to death for the mile or so
      home.  It wiggled and shimmied so much I thought I was going to end out on the
      ground, in traffic, or both.

      This weekend I picked up a used 26" disc equipped mountain bike (Banshee Viento)
      that I was going to swap the FR to.  But I found that the 41cm minimum chainstay
      requirement for the 700c FR on the xtracycle website is a bit short - the Viento
      supposedly has 41.9cm chainstays but the FR tongue is going to have to be
      somewhere inside the seat tube for it to work.  And I checked the geometry of a
      couple of other MTBs and found them similar (Surly 1X1, Redline Monocog 26,
      etc), so they look like they're out as well.  I'm thinking about a couple of
      options and hoping someone has tried one or more of the options below and can
      comment:

      1) Sell the 700c FR and buy a 26" FR - not big on this idea since I know they've
      made some design changes in the FR and it looks like some bags don't fit older
      models, etc.  This all fits together and works nicely other than the shimmy.
      Not to mention, I don't intend on carrying HUGELY heavy loads very often.  More
      often it will be a 40 pound bag of dog food, a big bag of potting soil, my four
      year old and a couple of lawn chairs, or a run to the farmer's market.

      2) Sell the Banshee and my old Volpe, pick up a 700c frame like a Surly Cross
      Check, and build up a much heavier rear wheel.  I'm thinking either a 36 hole XT
      hub, or possibly a 40 hole tandem hub re-spaced to 135mm, and lace it to a
      Velocity Deep V/Dyad/Mavic A719 using heavier spokes (DT Alpine?).  That should
      leave a stiff frame, stiff rim, shorter spokes if I go with the Deep V, and
      provide a good bit of toughness while still being a bit more high speed friendly
      than a 26" wheeled setup since I don't usually carry big loads.

      3) Sell the Banshee and my old Volpe and pick up a Karate Monkey, use the 26"
      disc wheels that were on the Banshee (XT hubs laced to Sun Rhino Lite rims) and
      run huge 26" tires like the Big Apple to give me some suspension and provide a
      total diameter more like a 700c.

      Anybody got a thought?

      Thanks all!
      shrewboy
      Lancaster, PA

      Messages in this topic (8)
      1b. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          Posted by: "Rick" rick@... rickpickett3
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 am ((PDT))

      > 1) Sell the 700c FR and buy a 26" FR - not big on this idea since I know
      >they've made some design changes in the FR and it looks like some bags don't fit
      >older models, etc. This all fits together and works nicely other than the
      >shimmy. Not to mention, I don't intend on carrying HUGELY heavy loads very
      >often. More often it will be a 40 pound bag of dog food, a big bag of potting
      >soil, my four year old and a couple of lawn chairs, or a run to the farmer's
      >market.

      The bags will fit using the RetroFit Kit, so you might not need to change unless
      you're using rim brakes and drop to a 26" rear wheel. The smaller wheel (with
      straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, strong box construction/or deep V rim, and
      large flange hub) will help reduce that shimmy and flex you're feeling.

      > 2) Sell the Banshee and my old Volpe, pick up a 700c frame like a Surly Cross
      >Check, and build up a much heavier rear wheel. I'm thinking either a 36 hole XT
      >hub, or possibly a 40 hole tandem hub re-spaced to 135mm, and lace it to a
      >Velocity Deep V/Dyad/Mavic A719 using heavier spokes (DT Alpine?). That should
      >leave a stiff frame, stiff rim, shorter spokes if I go with the Deep V, and
      >provide a good bit of toughness while still being a bit more high speed friendly
      >than a 26" wheeled setup since I don't usually carry big loads.

      I think you could get by with that wheel build on a 26" and keep a 700c wheel up
      front. Know a lot of people choose that mixmash setup and enjoy it. The loss of
      wheel diameter won't be that much of an impact I think.

      > 3) Sell the Banshee and my old Volpe and pick up a Karate Monkey, use the 26"
      >disc wheels that were on the Banshee (XT hubs laced to Sun Rhino Lite rims) and
      >run huge 26" tires like the Big Apple to give me some suspension and provide a
      >total diameter more like a 700c.

      I love my Maxxiss Hookworms for their 2.5" curb chomping ability. #3 sounds like
      the best bet if you can sell the Banshee w/ or w/o another wheelset.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      Messages in this topic (8)
      1c. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          Posted by: "gear.head@..." gear.head@...
      gear.head@...
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am ((PDT))

      If you are going to spend money on a new frame buy a big dummy, build it up with
      your existing parts and sell off what's left. The BD will take a 700, 650 or 26"
      wheel.

          Posted by: "David Backeberg" dbackeberg@... le-tour-rider
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 am ((PDT))

      On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM, shrew13 <shrew13@...> wrote:
      >etc), so they look like they're out as well. I'm thinking about a couple of
      >options and hoping >someone has tried one or more of the options below and can
      >comment:

      I was in a similar boat several months ago.

      I worked out the math, and it was seeming like it was a better deal to
      buy a Radish than do all the work I was going to do to get my ride the
      way I wanted it.

      Then I talked it over with my trusted buddy at the LBS, and he
      convinced me that I should really go with a Big Dummy (complete)
      instead.

      I'll tell you I'm not having a shimmy problem, it's a very nice ride,
      everything works like it should. It's a really great bike that I plan
      to ride for a long time.

      Only issues I can think about why you wouldn't do the Big Dummy
      * if your budget doesn't allow, but make sure you consider the entire
      budget, including the cost to get the parts you already have, and
      presumably could sell
      * if Surly / xtracycle doesn't have inventory on Big Dummy when you want it

      I put my order in Dec. 2010 and got my bike Mar. 2011.

      Messages in this topic (8)
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 12:00 pm ((PDT))

      On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM, shrew13 <shrew13@...> wrote:
      >>etc), so they look like they're out as well. I'm thinking about a couple of
      >>options and hoping >someone has tried one or more of the options below and can
      >>comment:
      > Only issues I can think about why you wouldn't do the Big Dummy
      > * if your budget doesn't allow, but make sure you consider the entire
      > budget, including the cost to get the parts you already have, and
      > presumably could sell
      > * if Surly / xtracycle doesn't have inventory on Big Dummy when you want it

      I thought of another reason you wouldn't do Big Dummy.

      Because you bought a Yuba Mundo instead. There's three in town now and
      the nice thing if you're planning on kid hauling is that the frame is
      already pre-built for the 'running boards'. You can still do the
      xtracycle accessories, but you get a little more 'built-in'.

      Messages in this topic (8)
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm ((PDT))

      I ordered my dummy from REI and had it in a week (frame only). Just built it two
      weeks ago. It is way more stable than my previous set up which was a FR on a
      Diamondback mountain frame. I used all the components from my old bike too
      (saved a lot of money).

          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm ((PDT))

      I have to admit the Big Dummy is really cool, but the price is pretty much a
      deal breaker for me.  I saw where the 2011 frame were $950 at xtracycle.com.  I
      haven't seen but a couple of Big Dummy setups on the used market, and they were
      still pricey.  The Karate Monkey or Cross Check are about half that when new,
      and both show up used pretty often.  If I were using this all the time and
      considering going fully car-free, I'd probably consider the extra expense.  But
      for occasional use, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra $600 or so -
      basing that on a new Dummy @ $950 versus a used Cross Check at somewhere in the
      $350 range, possibly less if I get one that's been a little move "loved".  The
      cost can't stop me from checking out the galleries online, though!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, gear.head@... wrote:

      > If you are going to spend money on a new frame buy a big dummy, build it up
      >with your existing parts and sell off what's left. The BD will take a 700, 650
      >or 26" wheel.

      Messages in this topic (8)
      1h. Re: Thoughts on way to go with 700c FreeRadical
          Posted by: "Andrew Kreps" andrew.kreps@... onewheelskyward
          Date: Tue May 10, 2011 3:11 pm ((PDT))

      On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM, shrew13 <shrew13@...> wrote:
      > But for occasional use, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra $600 or so -
      >basing that on a new Dummy @ $950
      > versus a used Cross Check at somewhere in the $350 range, possibly less if I
      >get one that's been a little move "loved".
      > The cost can't stop me from checking out the galleries online, though!

      You have to remember, the Big Dummy frame includes the price of the
      Free Radical frame, which is about $239 these days.  And the Big Dummy
      is, quite simply, bombproof.  I've been trying to kill mine for over
      two years now.  I've burned up a cross country wheel, but everything
      else is taut and responsive.

      Messages in this topic (8)

      You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
      radical.

      ride to believe.