13296Re: Xtracycle, nuvinci, kickback, and chain routing

  • jtrops
    Apr 14, 2011
      Does it feel like it's slipping, or skipping? I could see skipping due to poor chain tension, or more likely poor chainline. If it's slipping it almost has to be inside the hub. The only time I noticed slipping in my N171b was when it was very new, and only when I shifted the range from the highest gear to the lowest before applying pressure. I'd say that within the first week with the hub the effect was gone.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
      > I got my bike back a couple of days ago. It took my poor shop monkey a
      > whole day of tinkering to get the thing torn apart and put back
      > together.
      > In its current configuration there's no contact between Kickback and
      > chain in either the up or down position. I think this is because the
      > chain tensioner we used holds the chain pretty low.
      > This may change, though because I'm getting gear slippage when I push
      > off on starts. This is with all new chain, cog, and ring. So I'm
      > thinking either the chain needs to be tighter or I'm going to have to
      > do an idler to take up the slack and more fully wrap the ring. Anybody
      > got any other suggestions? I haven't talked to shop monkey about it
      > yet.
      > Thanks!
      > Jeff
      > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
      > > Thanks, everyone for sharing your experience. I spent an hour on Saturday
      > > with my buddy at my LBS ordering new wheels and brakes and rotors and all
      > > kinds of things to change my steed over to IGH plus disc. I decided to take
      > > a wait-and-see stance on the Kickback. I'll check back when LBS and I get
      > > the thing all put together.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Jeff

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic