13240Re: Xtracycle, nuvinci, kickback, and chain routing

  • jtrops
    Mar 31 1:17 PM
      The mention of "Freewheel" makes me think that you have the old version of the Nuvinci. What were the chainline problems that you were having? For what it's worth I don't have the stoke monkey, or the kickback, but I got my chainline dialed in immediately, and have since changed cranks, chainwheels, freewheels, and tensioners to clean it up, but not to improve the function. My current setup has the chainline corrected with an old school mtb crank on a 113mm spindle. The crankset was designed for 122.5mm. It puts the offset between the drive and cog under 2mm's. That variance over the length of the chain on the Big Dummy is statistically a perfect setup. What problems would be solved by going with a Rohloff? I can't be happier with my Nuvinci. It's worked flawlessly even at -9f.

      If I were to put a kickback on my bike I would have to change the chainwheel/cog to give more room for it.

      I'm not sure how the Stokemonkey figures into the equation. Doesn't it drive on the left side? If so, isn't that independent of the drive chainline?

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_sss" <jsnavely@...> wrote:

      > I spent a lot of time trying to "fix" the chainline on my wife's big dummy w/kickback/nuvinci/stokemonkey.
      >
      > Between the shop and myself we tried different chain tensioners, different size freewheels, different chainrings.
      >
      > In the end, I got it "close enough" and quit working on it. I had the added challenge of a stokemonkey though, which caused additional clearance issues. The chain rubs lightly on the underside of the kickback.
      >
      > Once I realized how much I hated the Nuvinci I quit trying to make it work. The plan was to rebuild it with either a Rohloff or derailleur. My wife had a bad wreck though and knee surgery so it's been put off for a year. It's about time to start work again.
      >
      > [shameless ad] If anyone's interested in a Nuvinci (1st gen) wheel let me know.
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey shiny people,
      > >
      > > I'm on the verge of treating my Trek 6500 + freeradical to a new set of
      > > wheels with an N360 IGH.
      > >
      > > I've read enough discussion here on the list about this combination to know
      > > that it can be done.
      > >
      > > Since the Trek has vertical dropouts, I understand I'll need a chain
      > > tensioner of some kind.
      > >
      > > What I don't quite get is how the fixed chainline interacts with the
      > > kickback stand. Sounds like I have to do something to make that work. Looks
      > > like one option is the Terracycle idler kit http://tinyurl.com/xidler or
      > > conceivably the Big Dummy version http://tinyurl.com/bdidler
      > >
      > > Anyway, this seems like it's going to get kinda complicated. Is anybody
      > > running the nuvinci with a kickback on an xtracycle conversion who can let
      > > me know how they addressed these issues and how it's working for them?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Jeff

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic