13238Re: Xtracycle, nuvinci, kickback, and chain routing

  • jeff_sss
    Mar 31, 2011
      I spent a lot of time trying to "fix" the chainline on my wife's big dummy w/kickback/nuvinci/stokemonkey.

      Between the shop and myself we tried different chain tensioners, different size freewheels, different chainrings.

      In the end, I got it "close enough" and quit working on it. I had the added challenge of a stokemonkey though, which caused additional clearance issues. The chain rubs lightly on the underside of the kickback.

      Once I realized how much I hated the Nuvinci I quit trying to make it work. The plan was to rebuild it with either a Rohloff or derailleur. My wife had a bad wreck though and knee surgery so it's been put off for a year. It's about time to start work again.

      [shameless ad] If anyone's interested in a Nuvinci (1st gen) wheel let me know.

      Jeff

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

      > Hey shiny people,
      >
      > I'm on the verge of treating my Trek 6500 + freeradical to a new set of
      > wheels with an N360 IGH.
      >
      > I've read enough discussion here on the list about this combination to know
      > that it can be done.
      >
      > Since the Trek has vertical dropouts, I understand I'll need a chain
      > tensioner of some kind.
      >
      > What I don't quite get is how the fixed chainline interacts with the
      > kickback stand. Sounds like I have to do something to make that work. Looks
      > like one option is the Terracycle idler kit http://tinyurl.com/xidler or
      > conceivably the Big Dummy version http://tinyurl.com/bdidler
      >
      > Anyway, this seems like it's going to get kinda complicated. Is anybody
      > running the nuvinci with a kickback on an xtracycle conversion who can let
      > me know how they addressed these issues and how it's working for them?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Jeff

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic