12855Re: PDW Radbot 1000 on Sale

  • Rich
    Nov 8, 2010
      Another seriously bright taillight, at least by specification, I ran across at a reasonable price is the Knog Boomer. As with other Knog lights this has a silicone rubber based body with integral strap to wrap around a handlebar or seatpost. The Boomer is larger though and takes two AAA batteries rather than Lithium coin cells.

      The red LED Boomer taillight version CLAIMS an output of 30 Lumens and the white LED headlight version claims to have an output of 50 Lumens. In comparison the PBSF has an output of about 5 Lumens.

      Jenson has both the headlight and taillight versions available in various colors for under $20 apiece.

      Per the Knog web site there is a rechargeable version of the Boomer that recharges from a USB port coming shortly.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > The PBSF uses a 1/2 watt LED and within each light pulse uses high frequency pulsing to reduce power draw. It actually has a relatively sophisticated drive circuit to maximize battery life. The Radbot has a 1 watt LED and the power to it is not modulated though I doubt that it is driven at the full 1 watt LED rating. I say that as with AAA battery capacity the batteries would have a life of under 3 hours in the continuous on mode if drawing LED full rated wattage.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow! That's a great deal on a great light!
      > >
      > > IMO, the "cornea blitz" mode sounds like a nice improvement over the Pop mode, or whatever it's called in the first gen. I've always wished mine had a faster flashing mode.
      > >
      > > I will add that the Radbot 1000 really chews up batteries, so you should invest in some rechargeables.... yeah, that prob, goes without saying...
      > >
      > > It seems I'm recharging my Radbot 1000 weekly, where I was recharging my PBSF every two weeks. I guess The Pop takes a lot of juice.
      > >

      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.
      > > >
      > > > I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.
      > > >
      > > > To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.
      > > >
      > > > BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
      > > >
      > > > Rich Wood

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic