12854Re: PDW Radbot 1000 on Sale

  • Rich
    Nov 8, 2010
      The PBSF uses a 1/2 watt LED and within each light pulse uses high frequency pulsing to reduce power draw. It actually has a relatively sophisticated drive circuit to maximize battery life. The Radbot has a 1 watt LED and the power to it is not modulated though I doubt that it is driven at the full 1 watt LED rating. I say that as with AAA battery capacity the batteries would have a life of under 3 hours in the continuous on mode if drawing LED full rated wattage.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

      > Wow! That's a great deal on a great light!
      >
      > IMO, the "cornea blitz" mode sounds like a nice improvement over the Pop mode, or whatever it's called in the first gen. I've always wished mine had a faster flashing mode.
      >
      > I will add that the Radbot 1000 really chews up batteries, so you should invest in some rechargeables.... yeah, that prob, goes without saying...
      >
      > It seems I'm recharging my Radbot 1000 weekly, where I was recharging my PBSF every two weeks. I guess The Pop takes a lot of juice.
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Amazon currently has this taillight for $21.02. List on the PDW web site is $32. It is considerably brighter than the Planet Bike Superflash (PBSF) and has a built-in EU legal reflector. If you do not ride in a group this is a great taillight but it is probably too bright for following cyclists when group riding.
      > >
      > > I have several of them and the latest one has a revised blink mode that Portland Dersign Works refers to as the "cornea blitz" mode. This replaces a mode that was 1 long blink and 3 shorter ones, repeated. The other modes, continuous on and blink mode, are unchanged. The cornea blitz mose is a fairly high speed flashing mode with what appears to me to be a randomly variable flashing intensity.
      > >
      > > To me one advantage over the PBSF is that the body and cover are screwed together so it takes a philips screwdriver to change the battery. IMO much less chance of losing part of the light, a reported problem with the PBSF.
      > >
      > > BTW the PBSF and Radbot 1000 use the same mounts so are interchangeable on a bike which has the PBSF mount already. The Radbot 1000 includes seatpost, seatstay and rack mounts.
      > >
      > > http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Design-Works-Radbot-Light/dp/B0030BS30K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
      > >
      > > Rich Wood

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic