12712Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Suggestions for bike compatible with Xtracycle

  • Steve Lange
    Oct 5, 2010
      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

      In my opinion, the main difference between the Ute, Mundo and Xtracycle is the ability to carry cargo right out of the box.  With the Ute and Mundo, you'll need to purchase some sizable panniers to match the carrying capability of the Freeradical kit out of the box.  Once that cost is factored in, you may find the Freerad to be the best deal.  There may be other differences, such as where the center of gravity of your cargo sits, but I've never test-ridden the Yuba or Kona.

      That's a good point. I have ridden the Yuba and think it's a fine bike (and I personally wouldn't worry about the weight of the bike itself - any of these options are going to be 40-50lbs by the time you're done outfitting them), but the fact that it doesn't come with usable bags (unlike the Freerad kit) is a bit of a drawback.

      I do conceptually like and prefer the re-use of an existing bike and I hope that was clear from my original post, as negative-sounding as I know it seemed on its face. It's just that you've got to make sure that it's in good enough condition such that you don't incur a bunch of hidden costs in the process of conversion (which I'm sure I made overly clear already).

      Good luck, please don't hesitate to ask for more input!

      Steve Lange
      Santa Barbara, CA
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic