12710Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Suggestions for bike compatible with Xtracycle

  • Andrew Kreps
    Oct 5, 2010
      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM, patel_rahul <patelrahul@...> wrote:
      * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.

      Excellent idea.  You should be able to find an inexpensive, dusty garage bike to build on.

      A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet,  however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?

      I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

      In my opinion, the main difference between the Ute, Mundo and Xtracycle is the ability to carry cargo right out of the box.  With the Ute and Mundo, you'll need to purchase some sizable panniers to match the carrying capability of the Freeradical kit out of the box.  Once that cost is factored in, you may find the Freerad to be the best deal.  There may be other differences, such as where the center of gravity of your cargo sits, but I've never test-ridden the Yuba or Kona.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic