12550Re: Alfine 11 Speed Data Sheet.

  • Rich
    Aug 31, 2010
      BTW note that with the suggested 1.9 input ratio and a 27" or 700C wheel the top gear is almost exactly the same as with the classic road gearing of 52/13 which was on most good quality road bikes pre Shimano freehubs.

      This is a 108" top gear and may well be why Shimano recommends that input ratio as giving a well tried and traditional road bike top gear. The low gear of 26.4" is not as low as some would like for MTB, cargo or loaded touring bikes but is still substantially lower than is available with most dual front chainring derailleur drivetrains.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > It says "recommended" not mandatory on the installation instructions sheet so I would presume going lower within reason will not invalidate the warranty. With a 26" wheel and 2" wide tire the 1.9 input ratio should give a range of 26" to 106" gear inches which is close to an 11-44 MTB high gear and provides a decent high gear for a sporty street bike. IMO higher than necessary for most cargo bike applications. I would probably try about a 1.6 to 1.7 input ratio for a cargo or loaded touring bike application. Still be wider range gearing than the Yuba Mundo, Madsen or complete Xtracycle cargo bikes IIRC.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Chase <dr2chase@> wrote:
      > >

      > > On 2010-08-31, at 6:15 PM, Rich wrote:
      > >
      > > > Shimano has finally released the data sheet on the new Shimano Alfine SG-S700 11 speed IGH for those who might be interested in it for a IGH cargo bike. Looking at the ratios it appears to me to be aimed at the touring bike rider and MTB rider more than the usual IGH city and commuting bike user.
      > >
      > > In particular:
      > >
      > > "It is recommended that the gear ratio of the front chain ring be set to approx. 1.9. Example: F34T – R18T, F39T – R20T, F45T – R23T"
      > >
      > > This doesn't give me that much of a granny gear. Sounds like Rohloff is my next hub.
      > >
      > > David

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic