11386Re: [rootsradicals] MSNBC report on Bike Shop vending machines

  • Pete B
    Mar 31, 2010
      The Treehugger blog had a story on a bike part vending machine and workstand by Trek back in 2008

      'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw

      On 1 April 2010 01:46, Tone <tone@...> wrote:

      When I was still living in NYC the rule was a cyclist could bring a bike
      on a train during rush hour as long as the last (and possibly the first
      as well?) subway car had a sufficient amount of extra room. I never had
      any problem bringing my bike on the subway on the few occasions I did
      (stolen rear wheel, etc.). Sometimes police officers will walk through
      the chain of subway cars as part of their patrol and none of them ever
      said anything to me. Of course I am always courteous to fellow passengers
      and recognize a bike is not in its element on a subway. It did piss me
      off when I saw other ignorant cyclists kind of force their bike on with
      them like it was just another person trying to squeeze on… and during
      rush hour and not in the last car, etc. That kind of attitude and action
      messes things up for all the good cyclists out there.
      Actually the hardest part of bringing any bike onto a subway is getting
      it down the stairs and especially through the turnstile if there is not a
      booth-operator buzz-door. One time when I was already on a somewhat empty
      subway car with my bike, the car eventually started to get somewhat
      filled. Well before every seat was taken I gave up my seat and sat on the
      top tube of the bike while it was leaning against the grabbing pole away
      from the doors. When there were no seats I actually told a woman she
      could sit down on my Xtracycle. At first she declined as if initially not
      wanting to accept something from a stranger, but after a little while she
      asked if I was sure it was ok. She ended up sitting on the bike with me
      and we talked about it. Other passengers over heard and started asking
      questions and said it was cool. I also told other standing passengers
      rather than reaching up for the ceiling-cross bar they could support
      themselves by holding onto my handlebars, which had plenty of hand
      positions and grip.

      By the way, I just e-mailed the owner of the only local bike shop in town
      with the bike vending machine MSNBC link. His shop is near the edge of
      town, so I suggested he consider setting up a vending machine near the
      end of the Heritage Rail Trail, which runs down 41 miles to about 14-16
      miles North of Baltimore. The rail trail here ends within blocks of down
      town York, PA and it also runs directly alongside the main local bus
      company junction hub. Many of their busses have bike racks, so I think it
      would be easy to team up with the bus company to set up a bike vending
      machine possibly on their bus station property right beside the rail
      trail. It would obviously service the recreational cyclists on the trail,
      but would also provide snacks and repair kits to cycling bus commuters,
      who might be waiting for their second bus after getting a flat on the way
      to their first bus. Since his shop is up hill near the edge of town the
      location would allow customers to fix their own problems without having
      to walk up-hill for quite a distance. Besides the vending machine’s ideal
      self-promoting location, I would also imagine the bus company could
      lightly advertise the machine as an added service to their customers on
      their route pamphlets, bus drivers could certainly direct broken down
      cyclists to the machine after seeing the sad passenger mount their
      flatted bike on the front rack, and I could easily imagine the local TV
      stations running a promo report as part of their prime time local news.
      I guess I will just have to see if the local bike shop owner wants to try
      it out. Heck, if he does not I might even consider it. With an
      Xtracycle/Big Dummy it would be easy enough to ride down the rail trail
      and restock a few vending machines twice a week or so.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic