1084Horn or Hey!

  • Paul Freedman
    May 23 9:49 AM
      On the subject of horns, I wrote this blog post on Rock The Bike!

      We've thought about selling airhorns at Rock the Bike, but decided
      against it for two reasons:

      1. Air horns aren't cool. They send out the message that bicyclists
      are disgruntled and bitter. They are absolutely the wrong thing to use
      for pedestrians or other cyclists. You'll need an Incredibell for
      that. Purchase at http://rockthebike.com/bells/incredibell

      2. Yelling "Hey!" at the top of your lungs is faster, just as loud,
      cheaper, more reliable, and always ready unless you have laryngitis.
      It has saved me many times. I can yell "Hey!" about as fast as I can
      perceive a threat. "Hey!" always penetrates automotive glass. When
      people hear you hell "Hey!", they know it's coming from a human being.
      When people hear the blast of an air horn, they don't know where it's
      coming from. This may make yelling "Hey!" more effective at getting a
      driver's immediate attention. "Hey!" can be followed by "Thanks" if a
      driver yields, or something harsher if they don't. An air horn only
      does one thing. If you don't keep the Air Horn pumped up, it won't
      work. That's one more thing to remember to do before each ride.
      Yelling "Hey!" requires no preparation.

      3. Using an air horn requires taking one of your two hands off the
      handlebars, precisely where you need them in a tense moment. Yelling
      "Hey!" doesn't.

      4. Training yourself to yell "Hey!" is easier than training yourself
      to hit the air horn. And if you're not trained and ready, it does no
      good to have an air horn on your bars.

      > For the aggressive drivers, I would also recommend a
      > good loud horn, as well as bell. If the cheery ding a
      > bell doesn't harken back to some happy day in
      > childhood, use a really loud bell- sound like a car if
      > you can. Like faking out a bear... go for the Airzound
      > horn. I wuold also really recommend backing the horn
      > up with a cheery wave and smile. We will never beat
      > them with anger and force, and they obviously have far
      > more critical mass than we do. We need to remember
      > that bikes are nice, and we should be to, the law
      > might be on our side, but physics is on theirs... I
      > used to carry a tube of Mentos with me while bike
      > communiting in LA. If someone seemed like they were
      > out to get me, I'd give 'em a smile and flash......
      > the Freshmaker!! If you can get them to smile back,
      > you've won, both this time and hopefully more in the
      > future.
      > --- "Philip.X.Diaz" <st_indigo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > a better option than x-mas lights is battery-powered
      > > electro-
      > > luminescent cord ("EL" wire). you can order it
      > > online at CoolNeon.com.
      > >
      > > it's super durable, cheap, low-powered, and can be
      > > sequenced to blink
      > > or make animations (just like regular neon signs),
      > > and is extremely
      > > popular for lighting bikes at Burning Man.
      > >
      > > it's not nearly as bright at the DLG though, so
      > > maybe do both!
      > >

      > > On May 21, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Amos Patrick wrote:
      > >
      > > > Christmas lights on a bike!!? That sounds pretty
      > > cool. Does anybody
      > > > know the link to the website?
      > > > -Amos
      > > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin
      > > Bridgman <caralinb@>

      > > sticks out and the
      > > orange clothing,
      > > teletubby riding the

      > > rigged her bike with
      > > websites.

      > > drivers and there's
      > > > not
      > > than their cars.

      > > Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-
      > > movies. Well, there
      > > reliever.

      > > free-radicalled bike
      > > dual tube. I'm on the
      > > aggressive drivers.

      > > > You're getting this message because you signed up
      > > to be an
      > > > Xtracycle roots radical.

      > > rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      > > >

      > > > ride to believe.
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      spam the boot. Take control with tough spam protection in the all-new
      Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      > http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_html.html

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic