10827Re: An Interesting Hybrid Drivetrain

  • Rich
    Feb 1, 2010
      The only reason I can see for such a setup as the Jamis one is if you definitely want a wider range overall IGH drivetrain than the 340% provided by the SRAM iM9 or the 305% provided by the Shimano 8 speed hubs and cannot afford a Rohloff hub.

      I would use it with the chain normally on the large ring and only shift to the small one when encountering riding conditions where the lowest gears available were needed.

      I originally posted to show what is available and that some bike manufacturers are willing to think outside of the box of drivetrain orthodoxy.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate" <speedub.nate@...> wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > In my mind, it's all about maintenance. With an internally geared
      > hub, the
      > > chain isn't constantly jumping cogs, wearing it out; there is also no
      > > rear derailleur to adjust periodically. When it comes time to replace
      > the
      > > rear cog, it's probably closer to $10 than $80 for the fancier 9 speed
      > > cassettes. Depending on your hub, you can also shift while stopped.
      >
      > Good points, though I'd still rather live with a rear derailleur over a
      > front derailleur given the choice. But no derailleurs is better yet,
      > and my bikes all agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment! :)

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic