10779Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Beer transport?

  • Liam Casey
    Jan 31, 2010
      Well, I'd say this thread has now been thoroughly hijacked! I figured I'd jump in to plug the 2nd annual Beer to Brakers ride in SF next week. I'm not involved with the ride, but I had a total blast last year. It featured selections from several home brewers and brewpubs. This year appears to focus on craft beers.

      http://beer2brakers.blogspot.com/

      Liam

      On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:09 PM, sh8knj8kster <sh8knj8k@...> wrote:

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:

      > Some people tell me they can taste the metal so I tell them to pour the beer
      > in a glass :)

      ~~~I tried to stay out of this thread, really I did=:-) I don't care to drink canned beer. There, I said it=:-) Sean, you bring up a good point...namely to pour the beer fromn a can into a glass so you don't have to taste metallica when you drink but more often than not, a glass isn't handy, but bottled beer is=:-) Give me a bottled brew and I'm a happy camper, and we'll let Sean drink the canned=:-)

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.
      The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
      have not got it.
      - - George Bernard Shaw

      > Oh, it's cool. I just like to advocate for beverage cans. I agree that
      > it's just an image problem.
      >
      > Some people tell me they can taste the metal so I tell them to pour the beer
      > in a glass :)
      >
      > Unfortunately for the OP, those elite Belgian beers can never come in a can.
      > They require bottle finishing if I recall correctly.
      >
      > --
      > Sean Moore
      > moore.sean@...

      > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Sean;
      > >
      > > I was kidding with the cans comment. Everything I have read agrees with
      > > what you say but the can, for beer, suffers an image problem. I suspect it
      > > is due to both older can technology and the fact that cans were first used
      > > for mass market American beers, the blah of the brewers art :<(. People
      > > equate canned beer with typical American beer that tastes like it has
      > > already been filtered through the Bud horses.
      > >
      > > If carrying on a bike the cans are certainly more compact and lighter than
      > > bottles as well as much less breakable, the original subject of this thread.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood
      > >

      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > Sean Moore <moore.sean@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just so you know, a modern aluminum can is the perfect container for most
      > > > beer.
      > > >
      > > > The three enemies of beer are heat, light and air. The package can't do
      > > > anything about heat but a can is airtight (even the best bottle crown
      > > isn't)
      > > > and no light can get in.
      > > >
      > > > As we all know, cans are lighter. A lighter beer truck is a more fuel
      > > > efficient beer truck. Cans require very little in the way of secondary
      > > > packaging, you have to even use cardboard to keep the bottles from
      > > clanking
      > > > together.
      > > >
      > > > The cans are made in the USA by workers who are being paid a living wage.
      > > > The bottles I've packaged with were imported from Mexico, on a ship and
      > > > made in who knows what sort of labor conditions.
      > > >
      > > > I'll take cans every time.
      > > >
      > > > And yes, that Old Chub is good stuff. My wife doesn't like the Scottish
      > > > Ales like I do so we usually get Momma's Little Yella Pils. Dale likes a
      > > > bit too much hops in his pale ale for my taste.
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Sean Moore
      > > > moore.sean@

      > > working