10768Re: Rim Strength Question

  • speedub_nate
    Jan 31, 2010
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:
      > Per the recommendation of one of my LBSs on my BD I had the wheels built with Velocity Cliffhanger rims and some type of downhill spokes. So far--about year--so good. If I remember right they are 36 spoke hubs--whatever the Rohloff is.

      The Rohloff is 32. The reason it stands up to touring and tandem loads where other 32-spoke wheels fail is because of the Speedhub's wide, symmetrical, large-diameter flanges.

      For any hub without these properties (almost all), I'd be looking for 36 or 40 spokes to support heavily loaded bikes.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic