10766Re: Rim Strength Question

  • speedub_nate
    Jan 31, 2010

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > What is the strongest category of rims? I would suspect "downhill" as those guys are not worried about weight. Any opinions, or facts even, regarding the strongest rims on the market?

      Carl and Steve both bring up good points: the rim alone does not guarantee a strong wheel. Even and sufficient spoke tension are both important to wheel longevity, as is proper spoke selection for heavily loaded riding.

      But building your own wheels (if you're so inclined) need not be voodoo art. Stout DH rims are easier than flexy XC race rims to learn on. Lots of instruction on line, plus your own time, patience, and attention to detail, can get you wheels every bit as good as what you can buy.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic