10765Re: [rootsradicals] Rim Strength Question

  • Carl Ray
    Jan 30, 2010
      A while back Morgan over at cycle9.com built me a rear wheel. The rim was a downhill Sunrim Big Mammoth Fat. Me plus bike ranges from 220-265 pounds this rim has stayed true with over 5,000 miles. The hum is a shimano XT? the spoke were Xtra thick as well. I also run kevlar tires. An xtracycle I believe requires a wheel like this no matter what the weight of bike and rider. It really makes the bike much more durable and reliable. I had broken spokes every 200 miles, flats all the time (which suck on a Xtra in the rear to fix)the wheel was always out of True. Don't play around with light weight, an Xtracycle is inherently not light anyway right. Unless they make a carbon fiber big dummy frame set, it is ridiculous to do the light bike stuff. It only makes you stronger in the long run.

      Carl

      On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      What is the strongest category of rims? I would suspect "downhill" as those guys are not worried about weight. Any opinions, or facts even, regarding the strongest rims on the market?

      Rich Wood

      --

      "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them." – Ernest Hemingway
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic