10763Re: Rim Strength Question

  • speedub_nate
    Jan 30, 2010
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > What is the strongest category of rims? I would suspect "downhill" as those guys are not worried about weight. Any opinions, or facts even, regarding the strongest rims on the market?

      In general, you're looking at the right category. But you could take it a step further: what rim do off-road tandem teams prefer? And unicyclists?

      It's an oddball category, but Kris Holm unicycle rims are some of the most bomb-proof hoops available. They're also quite weighty. One rim needs to stand up to the entire weight and unsuspended impacts of the rider, unlike bicycles which get to distribute that to two wheels. Alex over at MTBTandems.com sells a selection of Sun and Velocity rims (I'm running Sun Mammoths on our heavily loaded tandem and no problems, other than Sun's infamous tight bead seat which complicates tire changes). On a recommendation from a local wheel builder, I chose an Alex DX32 (downhill rim) for my Xtra's rear wheel.

      I wouldn't say all downhill rims are created equal, and believe it or not, they are concerned about weight. So some end up being more frail than others.   MTBR's review section is good for seeing what's on top and what might be problematic.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic