1062Re: [rootsradicals] Touring

  • john stanec
    May 17, 2007
      I have to weigh in, here.

      I've been riding a Surly Karate Monkey with the XtraCycle attachement
      and 700c rims. As far as I'm concerned, the ride is great! The Karate
      Monkey is not a road bike, per se, but it's geometry can handle 700c
      wheels, which is the reason I bought it. I've got Velocity Synergy
      rims and SOMA Express tires (700x35c). I pump them up to about 70
      pounds and love the ride. So far, I've not had any problems with the
      wheels handling loads up to 150 pounds of cargo. I've also got front
      and rear Avid BB-7 disc brakes which stop on a dime. And, as long as
      loads are firmly secured, the ride doesn't get squirrely.

      Sure, it's not too easy to hop curbs with this rig, but who's hopping
      curbs with any Xtracycle setup?

      I spent a week touring Costa Rica with my rig and found it to be more
      than adequate. I'll probably get the Surly Big Dummy if it ever gets
      released, but for now, I'm very happy with my ride.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic