10271Re: [rootsradicals] Music on a Bike

  • Carl Mears
    Dec 3, 2009
      Hi

      I realize that this does not exactly fit your needs, but...

      I have a Ihome h85 ipod speaker thing shaped more or less like a water bottle.
      It won't work with the shuffle, but it is very cool.

      It is almost loud enough to hear on a busy road.
      It has a remote that is easy to operate that attaches on your handle bars or
      whatever.

      It is quite amazing to me how loud it needs to be when pedaling 15 mph into a headwind
      on a busy road.

      -Carl

      On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:26 PM, stitzljq wrote:

      Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike? Not using my iPod, that's probably illegal where I live, and definitely a bad idea regardless, I do want to be able to hear traffic and be safe. I want to put a small set of speakers on my bike, or maybe a crank-powered radio. It doesn't have to be totally waterproof, but it will get rained on (at least by accident or bad luck) occasionally. It obviously needs to be quite securely attached, and I'd like it to be fairly easy to attach or remove it from the bike.

      I have a lot of options for where to attach it:

      - I have a handlebar bag
      - I have Nitto Moustache bars, which offer a large amount of space "between" the "sides" of the bars, where perhaps something could be suspended. Picture here:http://www.hiawatha cyclery.com/ cart/images/ IMG_0534_ 500.jpg
      - I've been considering getting a front rack, this might be another good place to attach speakers, and thus another good reason to spend money on my bike :0)

      I'm definitely open to the idea of building some type of platform or mount out of wood. Ideas for woodworking projects, and thus good reasons to hang out in my garage and play with tools, are always welcome :0)

      Any advice is appreciated!

      - Joel

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic