I'm new to the group...

  • spha6092@mail.usyd.edu.au
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2001
      G'day everyone!

      I just thought I'd introduce myself. From quickly scanning the
      archives, it seems that group postings have been scarce these past
      few months. I'm really glad there's a Jonathan Carroll mailing list.
      I've been manic these past three days, managing to get a hold of five
      of his books by visiting second hand book stores to get out of print
      copies. I bought two new ones and am going to buy another one
      tomorrow. I've never been like this about any author. Now I just need
      four more (excluding The Wooden Sea, which I'm not sure has been
      released here yet).

      I'm from Sydney, Australia. Yes, "Down Under"! Are there other
      Australians subscribed to this group? I think it's really interesting
      that JC has a cult following in various countries. I don't think he
      is exactly popular here if book availability is an indication.

      I first read "The Panic Hand" a couple of years ago and it haunted
      me. I picked it up from a book sale for a couple of dollars, because
      it sounded like the kind of twisted book I enjoy. Each story was
      perfectly crafted but chilling (I like Roald Dahl's short stories for
      a similar reason). I think I had a few bad dreams after reading it.
      Even so, I read it over again soon after but then left it on my
      shelf. Fast forward to 2001--I have read my way through countless
      authors and books from many different genres, but there was The Panic
      Hand on my shelf, reminding me of the promise I made long ago to
      look up more of JC's books. I think I wasn't quite ready for his
      books before because I would have certainly looked them up. But I was
      in the right mood this week.

      So that's how I discovered JC...a paperback sale at Target...since
      Monday, I've now read the Land of Laughs (what a brilliant book) and
      am almost finished with Kissing the Beehive. Even after reading what
      I have, the Panic Hand is still my favourite. Perhaps because it was
      my first.

      Otherwise, I read all kinds of books...Isobelle Carmody, Neil Gaiman,
      Agatha Christie, L. M. Montgomery, certain English classics,
      contemporary American novels like The World According to Garp or
      Catcher in the Rye...and the list goes on and on. I'm still a big fan
      of kids books, like the Harry Potter series or Enid Blyton books. I
      also started reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez recently and wouldn't
      have really associated JC with him, but now I see how JC is
      also 'magic realism'. I'm also starting the Lord of the Rings trilogy
      which I recently got for my birthday. I consider The Hobbit to be one
      of the first real novels I read. I was so engrossed that I gave
      myself eyestrain and my parents had to force me to stop reading for a
      while. I haven't really read that much fantasy (except for two of
      Neil Gaiman's and just about all of Isobelle Carmody's -- do people
      here know her?), but I did read two of Stephen Donaldson's when I was
      younger. I really liked those actually but am not sure about starting
      the rest of his books.

      A few more personal details...I'm twenty years old and a university
      student majoring in psychology and interested in sociolinguistics.
      I'm something of a budding writer. I support Amnesty International.

      Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hope to hear from you if you
      were struck by anything I wrote. Otherwise, this is just to let you
      all know I'm here... :)

      Back to Kissing the Beehive,
      Sheila
    • sfwitkowski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2001
        Hello Sheila (and everybody else!),

        Thanks for introducing yourself to the group. It has been very quiet lately
        so hopefully your comments will stir us all out of our apathy...

        While we're on the subject of personal Carroll stories can I tell you one
        that happened to me last week (at the risk of boring one person who has
        heard this already... )

        I don't drive and was going to meet some friends who lived quite a distance
        from me (I live in Manchester, UK by the way). So to alleviate the boredom of
        a 30 min. bus ride I took my hardback copy of "Sticks" with me ( I am
        rereading it again in preparation for tackling "Wooden Sea").

        I had perhaps travelled for five minutes when a woman sat next to me. I
        shuffled along to give her more room and went back to my book. After a while
        I hear this quiet laughter from beside me. I looked at the woman and she said
        "What a lovely book, I like books like that." Apparently her eye had been
        caught by Miranda quoting Hugh's Irish Toast and she was reading on from
        there. We then had a lovely chat about Carroll and about other books she
        liked. It turned out she was Spanish and was here studying. We didn't talk
        for long as she was getting off the bus fairly quickly but we did swap names.
        I'll probably never see her again but it was a nice JC moment.

        Has anybody else got stories like that they would like to share with the
        group?

        Bye for now,

        Stephen Witkowski
        Manchester: UK.

      • Daniela Buck
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2001
          Stephen and Sheila,
          thanks for your stories - they really brightened up my grey and rainy day here
          in Vienna.

          I can only agree with what Stephen said - it's been quiet on our list like it
          had been shut down. Wake up eloquent English-speaking people! There are some on
          this list - no?

          What about great books if there are no Carroll-stories "available"? We are not
          only a Carroll-list but also a book list, aren't we?

          I read Redmond O'Hanlon's "Congo Journey" lately and Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of
          a Geisha". Both have been worthwhile and O'Hanlon is unbelievably funny and a
          very courageous man also. He was in Vienna a couple of weeks ago and I joined
          his reading. Before he started to read, he unpacked two bottles of whiskey and
          told the people to fill their glasses. Lots of interesting, new and disgusting
          things (for Europeans) in these two hours. I loved it.

          Daniela

        • stenbock@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2001
            Speaking of JC moments...(although this story has precious little to do with
            JC's books...)

            I was sitting at the bus stop reading Tim Ward's WHAT THE BUDDHA NEVER TAUGHT
            (a lively memoir of the author's experiences as a Buddhist monk in Thailand),
            when a Buddhist monk sat down right next to me! (Buddhist monks are a very
            rare sight here in the Washington DC suburbs.) I looked from him to the
            book, my mouth agape, when he noticed my expression and the book I was
            holding. We had a very nice conversation about the book and other
            things....it was a very surreal moment, and quite moving.

            "The truth is, he was alive when I buried him." John Getz in BLOOD SIMPLE.
          • _ Kshar _
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2001
              Hi Sheila,

              Yes, there are more Australians on the list. Or one more, anyway :). I
              discovered JC in early last year after finding a copy of Outside the Dog
              Museum at a secondhand bookstore. It's still my favorite Carroll novel.
              I've since managed to pick up most of his work secondhand here or via eBay
              and amazon.com (my copy of the Wooden Sea is winging its way to me as we
              speak). Since it took until late last year for the Marriage of Sticks to be
              released here, I decided I couldn't wait any longer for the Wooden Sea <g>.

              If you're having trouble finding the last few books on your list, I'd be
              happy to look out for them for you. I frequent a lot of secondhand and
              specialty sf bookstores and go to all the bookfairs, and I quite often see
              JC novels around. I usually leave them there for other lucky
              Carrollhunters, but I admit to owning two copies of the Land of Laughs (50
              cents! I just couldn't resist--this was before LoL was republished, and I
              was watching dismally as reading copies went for fifty (US) dollars and up
              on eBay).

              Anyway, welcome to the list!

              xo
              Kshar
              --
              "I am just the same as anybody else."
              --Richard Shepard's 'Oxygen'

            • Simona Trimarchi
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                Shiela,

                This is the first time in a while I have checked my
                mail, mainly to catch up on what was happening in the
                Rondua world. I read you "introduction" and thought
                I'd say G'day myself - from Brisbane, Qld. I think
                you and I and one other guy in Perth are the only
                Aussies on this mailing list, I believe when I joined
                a few years ago I was the only one.

                I have similar interests in Enid Blyton books and one
                of my fave books from my teenage years was Catcher in
                the Rye.

                Cheers
                Simona

                --- spha6092@... wrote: > G'day everyone!

> [...]
                > myself eyestrain and my parents had to force me to
                > stop reading for a
                > while. I haven't really read that much fantasy
                > (except for two of
                > Neil Gaiman's and just about all of Isobelle
                > Carmody's -- do people
                > here know her?), but I did read two of Stephen
                > Donaldson's when I was
                > younger. I really liked those actually but am not
                > sure about starting
                > the rest of his books.
                >
                > A few more personal details...I'm twenty years old
                > and a university
                > student majoring in psychology and interested in
                > sociolinguistics.
                > I'm something of a budding writer. I support Amnesty
                > International.
                >
                > Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hope to
                > hear from you if you
                > were struck by anything I wrote. Otherwise, this is

                http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
                - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
              • Sheila Pham
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                  Simona!

                  Hello, how's it going? I'm really glad to hear from another Aussie--actually, I
                  think there are more than just three of us, but there aren't many more than
                  that. There's another person also from Queensland I think.

                  Oh I LOVE Enid Blyton! Well, I realise now just how many books I haven't read of
                  hers, but my all time favourites have to be The Faraway Tree trilogy--I met an
                  artist this year (or was it last?) who actually did a mural on a nursery wall
                  of the Faraway Tree and all the other characters. How great is that?! My other
                  all time favourite Blyton series, which I have unfortunately not been able to
                  read all of, is the "Adventure" series. Have you read those? I can still read
                  them now with the same pleasure. I still enjoy the Faraway books but not to
                  the same extent. One day I plan to actually look up all these books and get a
                  copy of them. I've read the Secret Seven (I think all of those), some of the
                  Famous Five, the Wishing Chair, etc. etc. But yes, those are my favourite two
                  series--I still read them from time to time! (the ones that I have anyway).

                  And Catcher in the Rye is also one of my favourites. I have a copy of it, but I
                  haven't gone back to read it recently because there are just too many books I
                  have to read. Have you read This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff? Not quite the same
                  thing as it's a memoir, but I think I like it for a similar reason that I like
                  Catcher.

                  Anyway, great to hear from you! Thanks for writing.

                  Sheila

                  PS. You haven't seen any Carroll books in stores around in QLD have you?? I'm
                  missing a few still...I've got most of them now, 9 of them I think. But still
                  having problem with a few others...Dog Museum, Voices, After Silence and I'll
                  wait for Wooden Sea to come out on paperback...I think that's it.
                  This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au