American Minute with Bill Federer and Honest Abe

  • Marshall Earp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004

      The Emancipation Proclamation went into effect on this day. It stated: "I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, by virtue of the power in me vested as commander-in-chief...do, on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three...publicly proclaim...that all persons held as slaves...are, and henceforward shall be, free....And I hereby enjoin upon the people so declared to be free to abstain from all violence...and...recommend...they labor faithfully for reasonable wages." Lincoln concluded: "And upon this act...I invoke...the gracious favor of Almighty God."