re: Vegliot Vocalism

  • Daniel Prohaska
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2004
      <--- Daniel Prohaska skrzypszy:

      <> Glad to hear that! :-) I've got some more stuff coming up. Comments
      <> welcome anytime.

      <No comments at the time, just one question: are Dalmatian and Vegliot
      <actually synonyms of each other, or is Vegliot part of something
      <bigger that we call Dalmatian? Just wondering.
      Jan, Vegliot is the old Romance dialect (+1898) of the island of Krk
      (Veglia). Inhabitants of the island did not refer to the language as
      Dalmatian. The same seems the case in Dubrovnic (Ragusa) where the
      language was always called Ragusean. Maybe when the Slavs settled and
      the dialect continuum of Dalmatian Romance was severed the speakers
      referred to the names of the localities rather than expressing a feeling
      of connectedness. After the Slavic settlement the Dalmatian Romance
      dialects were very much city languages, rurally the south Slavic variety
      had assimilated Romance speakers and city-Dalmatian was slowly replaced
      by the Venetian dialects of Italian probably through long periods of
      diglossia. There are 13th, 14th, and 15th century writings (usually
      letters) from Ragusa and the language is quite different from what we
      find of Vegliot in the 19th century though there is common ground. The
      word for 'father' also goes back to Vulgar Latin *TATA rather than
      *PATRE and the phoneme /a/ has been raised, too. However in Ragusean the
      /a/ has been raised to the front rather than to the back as in Vegliot
      which is why we find Ragusean <teta> as opposed to Vegliot <tuota>.
      Ragusean also preserves <-u> for VLatin -U where Vegliot shows apocope
      of it. It is unclear though when Vegliot apocope took place - so maybe
      VL -U was still present at the Time Ragusean was recorded. In a
      con-world the Dalmatian dialect continuum can be reconstructed. This is
      my eventual goal, but I would like to set up a sound con-Vegliot first
      and extrapolate from there.
      <Unfortunately, Vegliot/Dalmatian is mostly neglected in most works I
      <own about Romance linguistics. P. Boyd-Bowman's extremely interesting
      <and useful "From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts" does not mention
      <it at all (nor does it mention Romanian, for that matter). And D.
      <Lincoln Canfield & J. Cary Davis' "An Introduction to Romance
      <Linguistics" only mentions it briefly.
      I managed to get my hands on the first two volumes of Lausberg's
      "Romanische Sprachwissenschaft" which are about sound development. The
      three volumes appear to be required learning for Romance philology
      students at the university of Vienna. The volumes are in pocket format,
      out of print and very hard to read as you almost need a magnifying glass
      - but what's in them is very useful! They give numerous examples and try
      to cover both the standard Romance languages as well as some major
      dialectal developments. Where there are attest words of relevance
      Vegliot developments are very much included, which of course was a great
      asset to me.
      <I may come back to you later with some Low Saxon place names I've
      <been working on lately. Perhaps you'd like to review the orthography.
      <Jan
      Oh, any time - but I can't promise I can be of help - I'll gladly try
      though.
      Dan