Re: What would be your suggestions for a pure French word meaning 'fraternitée'?

  • thomasruhm
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2013
      You are right, it does look French. Today I did compare it with the word 'voyage', which has a glide too and there is a 'v' in 'sauvage'. Old consonants seem to be kept in that position. 'Breuvage', which comes from Old French 'beverage' might have 'v' in between because 'v' is more popular than 'r'.

      Another possible form for 'aquatique' is '*avage' or something similar, if the 'eau' was pronounced like the diphthong 'au'. The choice depends on if the suffix '-age' would be seen as productive or if the whole lexeme would have been in use for a very long time.

      /Thomas