Anything new about Vegliot?

  • thomasruhm
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
      Maybe some of you remember that I am interested in it, but it is so hard to find any material to learn it, so I think it might be sacked already.

      Thomas
    • Daniel Prohaska
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
        Hi Thomas,
        I have some material. The best stuff available is still Bartoli's "Das Dalmatische". I have an (almost) complete copy of it and the relevant sections� I'm sorely missing some pages of the glossary though and have been planning to go to a library in order to copy the rest� but time constraints and my involvement with my Cornish projects are holding me back there. I'm not sure where you're based, but any university city with a large philological department ought to have a copy of Bartoli.
        Dan

        On Jul 5, 2012, at 6:08 PM, thomasruhm wrote:

        > Maybe some of you remember that I am interested in it, but it is so hard to find any material to learn it, so I think it might be sacked already.
        >
        > Thomas
        > .

      • Thomas Ruhm
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
          Hi Dan,

          the university is not so big, but I am going to ask there. I think I would be able to pick up much of Vegliot in a mixed written conversation. Do you know somebody who might like to write with me? It need not be an expert. I am also learning other languages now but I am just curious about it.

          How is Cornish going? Most Cornish I heart does sound a bit like English. Are there many people as well who use a different accent? If yes, on what basis do they construct it? I've been told that native speakers of Irish who are less than two hundred years old do have an english accent too.

          Yours
          Thomas
        • Daniel Prohaska
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
            On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:53 PM, Thomas Ruhm wrote:

            > Hi Dan,
            >
            > the university is not so big, but I am going to ask there. I think I would be able to pick up much of Vegliot in a mixed written conversation.

            Vegliot is a so-called "Tr�mmersprache" - it needs serious reconstruction before it can be used in conversation.

            > Do you know somebody who might like to write with me?

            Maybe, I'll ask around before I pass on any e-mail addresses...

            > It need not be an expert. I am also learning other languages now but I am just curious about it.
            >
            > How is Cornish going?

            OK. Still working on my dictionary and I'm doing an audio course:

            http://www.kernewegva.com/deskikernowek.html

            > Most Cornish I heart does sound a bit like English.

            Yes, a lot of it shows a lot of interference from English, as is to be expected. Here are some Links to some 'good' Cornish:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQZ_Jmokuds
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boCJhBxyYE
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQHSADF4FP8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOb2LxHPMU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD6DD6085ADCADDB6
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkGyNPXCxk

            and similar videos, punch in "Richard Gendall" in the youtube search engine.

            You'll also find some here:

            http://radyo.kernewegva.com/

            > Are there many people as well who use a different accent? If yes, on what basis do they construct it? I've been told that native speakers of Irish who are less than two hundred years old do have an english accent too.

            Well L2 learners definitely, though there are a few who have an ear for he native accent. Native language speakers have Irish-Irish accents, even the young ones I've heard�
            Dan

            > Yours
            > Thomas

          • thomasruhm
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2012
              I am working much on plans for language revival houses and today it came to my mind that making one for Cornish would be a good idea, because many people already learn it. I don't write about it here often but you can ask me for more information.

              I have one artificial language in the project as well because I hope such can get more prestige through that.

              About five to ten people could live at such a house an only talk the chosen language, examine what words could be used, looking at old texts and different dictionaries. A big garden will also be there, because one needs something to eat and learn name of plants and gardening vocabulary. If there would be a house for north african Latin, I would like to do alchemy there too. Mythology would be a big part of it anyway.

              Yours
              Thomas