In which language is the song Conquest of Paradise?

  • thomasruhm
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2012
      I read in a song book, that the song is based on an old spanish song, which was written in random latin looking syllables and later changed into that language.

      It goes like this:

      In noreni per ipe
      In noreni cora
      Tira mine per ito
      Ne nomina

      In romine tirmeno
      Ne romine to fa
      Imaginas per meno
      Per imentira

      And much of the song is only "hmmm hmmm hm hm hm hm hmmmm hm hm"?
    • Padraic Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2012
        Greetings!

        It is apparently not a language, but a kind of "'invented' musical language". One supposes
        created with the intention of giving words and atmosphere to the music without having to
        bother with meaning. Sort of like scat or falderal -- nonsense words set to the rhythm and
        melody of a tune. Kind of makes it sound like a vaguely Latin hymn or something, but
        obviously is not.

        http://www.vangelislyrics.com/vangelis-1492-conquest-of-paradise-lyrics.htm

        Padraic